Every morning I go to work at the mall, I see a group of women taking jogs or walks in the mall. This group of women is elderly women. It is amazing to see now these days what older people are doing to stay healthy and in shape. The funny thing about seeing this group of women exercising is that I realized they are being more active than me and I am at the young age of 24. I rarely go to the gym and forget about taking the initiative to take a jog or walk. The elderly population is taking control of their health. I remember during my parents day’s health was not something discussed much instead; it was a subject that was avoided. At the same time, there was not as much programs and advance technology to guide the elderly population towards a long, healthy lifestyle.
Grocery stores are offering many services that cater to specific groups such as the elderly by offering low prescription plans in the store pharmacy or recipes to cook healthy meals for specific diets. Also, stores are having machines available to check blood pressure. Having blood pressure machines available at places like the grocery store makes it accessible for people especially, the elderly community. In addition, an older person can find out if they are prehypertensive or already at high blood pressure point. The elderly population is making it a priority to have check ups with their physician because there are diseases or medical conditions which the greatest risk factor is age. The elderly population of today is having healthy living and making healthy choices.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment